Cupcakes..The Short Story..


A fellow blogger made a comment on my last post. He.. (oh hey... perhaps that is where the ... problem ... or lack of understanding comes from - he who does not understand is a he)
He, this fellow blogger, does not understand what all the fuss is about cupcakes.
Fair enough. He gets excited over stone... this passes over me like a faint spring breeze. I acknowledge it, but it didn`t rock my world. Pun intended.
I went back through some posts as Lily wanted to see the pictures. I realized I have posted about cupcakes three times - now four - since starting to blog last August.

It goes without saying, that an ever so slightly warm cupcake, freshly made, and ultra moist, brings me utter joy.
Cupcakes are small, giving me the false sense of being dainty. They are self sustaining. In a pinch, neither plate nor napkin necessary. By using one less napkin, you are helping to save the planet.
One can feel better about oneself after eating a single cupcake. The alternative being the savage attack and devouring of half a cake. Women armed with a dessert fork and a spare five minutes are a force not to reckoned with.
When I asked three giddy girls if they wanted to make cupcakes or cookies this past weekend - they gleefully screamed CUPCAKES!
Maybe it is yet another side of women that men will never understand. Romance, ballroom dancing, cupcakes. Who can explain any of it.

Before I go, it must be said, it must be shared. The dark side of the cupcake. The sorrow and the pain that comes from dry cake or plastic icing.
Just as in life, looks can be deceiving. Dolled up cupcakes with dragets and swirls. You know the ones..icing three inches high. If they weren`t so sweet, I`d call them tarts!
Sadly, even though they are trashy, and taste like a shoe insert, you still eat them.
There is shame, but we move on.
Am I alone here..
Have you had the perfect cupcake..and if so, where!!!
Oh, and do they deliver to Canada.

18 comments:

DustyLu said...

I love cupcake and your blog! glad i found it..and you can post about them all day long and i wouldn't get tired of seeing those lovelys! ~lulu

country girl said...

I think one of the genius things about cupcakes is, you don't have to share! You have your own little serving and no one in their right mind would ask for a bite.
And even the biggest cupcake purist would admit that, eating a cupcake is really just an excuse to eat 1/2 a cup of frosting.
xo

Tom Stephenson said...

So it's a girlie thing? Thanks for the insight. I never meant to pass you over - I wouldn't have the courage to do that with a woman armed with a fork and 5 minutes of spare time!

Oh, and I don't get excited over stone - just the opposite...

North West London Girl said...

I full understand that indeed there is nothing like the perfect cupcake, I make them, magic ones, but fear they may arrive in a disappointing state to Canada otherwise I'd bag up a few for you. Perhaps they are just a girlie thing and chaps just don't get them, although in my experience they certainly enjoy eating them...

koralee said...

Soooooo cute...you know me and cupcakes. I have tried cupcakes from everywhere. I am very easily disappointed..they always look amazing but never taste up to my standards. There have been a few around here but when I go back a second time they have failed me... I find it is a hit and miss thing. But...the best cupcake I ever had..and I still dream of it..is in NYC..at Magnolia Bakery! RED VELVET ..I have never tasted one that even comes close to it. PURE heaven. XOXOXO

Firefly Hill said...

I love cupcakes too...and happen to think that the very best ones come your own kitchen. And I also think the mixes from a box happen to be really good...that way you can concentrate on the decoration on the top. (I like coconut!)

now I want one...badly.

annie

mise said...

Well, I guess cupcakes fulfill women's needs for taste, colour, crafting, miniaturisation, artfulness, being nurturing, entertaining children, transience, a sense of luxury, photography and bragging. They epitomize lifestyle, and you can't knock edible epitomizing.

Go Heather, more cupcake posts!

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

saw you over at dawns...country girl..she is a sweetheart..and wanted to stop by...the cupcakes are adorable....

me too...when i ask my 4 year old neice the same question...CUPCAKES, Auntie Sissy...so cute and what fun....

loved stopping by today..makes me HAPPY.

kary
xxx

Celestial Charms said...

One can never blog enough about cupcakes, in my humble opinion. Also, I never met a cupcake I did not like. Whether it be a pretty looking one, that didn't taste good...or an aesthetically unpleasing cupcake that tasted like heaven. My favorite cupcakes were the one's Mom always made for my childhood birthdays. Plain vanilla, with chocolate icing! Not fancy, but made with love.
Maureen

Grace said...

I agree with Firefly Hill - the best ones come from your own kitchen, made from a cake mix with homemade icing and time spent on the decorative topping. We made individual cupcakes for my daughter's birthday one year and they were a big hit.

blondiensc said...

Oh this post made me smile!! The best cupcake I have ever had is from a place called sprinkles here in newport beach...divine I tell ya, I could only eat a few bites they are so rich and piled high with frosting...does that make me less of a woman if I can't eat the whole thing??? :) Have a lovely weekend!

Beverly said...

I LOVE cupcakes. Any kind, anywhere, any time of day. Especially when I am dieting, which is 24/7. I can eat a cupcake, or two or three, and not feel guilty. Because it is small and not an entire cake:) I no longer buy regular cakes, I now buy cupcake cakes. What could be better? Maybe a cabana boy in cupcake printed boxers, fanning me while I eat my cupcake:) :)

pollydove said...

That is too funny! MEN!? Right?

I love capcakes too ... everything about them. I blogged about my favorite cupcake shop called "The Sweet Tooth Fairy" ... soooo divine!

http://myhappylittlethings.blogspot.com/2010/01/sweet-tooth-fairy.html

Barbara said...

That was a fun post! And now that I think about it men and cupcakes do NOT go together. Cake yes, cupcakes no. They are a girlie thing.
And I love 'em. All kinds.
I wonder: do we think they are less caloric than a piece of cake?

Tom Stephenson said...

I'm beginning to think that a blog about a pink cupcake, designed by Alexander McQueen, with photos of Johnny Depp eating, it would go down well on this site. Hmm...

Heather Cameron said...

I agree with many of you - a box of mix works perfectly for me - then you can spend all your time working on the icing and making them look happy. I've seen many a boys eye light up at the sight of a cupcake. Including my husbands. They bring out the kid in you. Glad everyone agrees. And Tom - you now know a bit more about women and cupcakes. I yes, that would be a framed image in all our homes. Bedside I believe!

Andrea - Faded Plains said...

Cupcakes are some of my favorite treats...I don't know what it is about them...but I just lov'em.

Vintage Simple said...

Ha! This was cute. Funny, we didn't really have cupcakes in Argentina, either... but maybe they have them now. I don't know. I love ice cream, I think, with the passion you love cupcakes. But let's be clear here - I will not refuse a cupcake. (To think of what I missed out during my childhood..!) ;)

xoox,
-maria