OH (bleep) This isn't a Dream!


I use to do flowers for weddings.  Did it for six years, then quit to work for magazines.  I still have nightmares that it's Saturday morning and I'm sleeping.  The phone rings and it's a bride wondering where her flowers are.  It's a frigin horror only made worse by the caller being an Italian bride. This means there are at least 50 boutonnieres alone to make. 
Well, it happened.  My worst nightmare came true yesterday (minus the wedding).  I was at the park with my girl.  We just got there and my phone rang.  It was the "Hi, Where the .... are you call!?"

 

I was supposed to be on set for a shoot in Vancouver at 11:30.  It was 12.  I ripped my girl from the park.  Threw her at Grandma, changed most of my grubby clothes, added mascara and dashed.  I got to the shoot with a fully loaded car of props by 2:36.  Not bloody bad if I do say so myself!


What do these cute images have to do with any of this?  Well, the homeowner collects these and I loved them.  The photographer, Tracey Ayton, took these to simply make us smile.  It was a tough day, but she was lovely to work with and forgave me.  Thanks Tracey.  Pop over to her site, it's very enjoyable.

I should mention, because I'm sure it helps others to know such tales of stupidity, and it just adds to the nightmare of a day I had.  While I was shopping like a frantic fool - grabbing leeches, mini cedars and fragrant pears, my top was wide open.  The buttons were not done up in my rush to look 'presentable'.  I flashed a very busy store for about 30 minutes.  It was at the checkout counter that I caught a glance of myself.  To top it off, I was wearing the oldest ugliest bra I own - so it was clearly not an attempt at sexy.  What could I do but laugh and say in the most nonchalant way "oh, I've come undone"

25 comments:

Karla @ Kerrisdale Design said...

Heather, have I had days like this!!! and isn't the moment you realize you forgot something very, very important the worst yucky, sick-to-your-stomach one? Glad everything turned out ok {despite the minor flashing incident :)! }

Karla
PS Tracey contacted me through my blog awhile back and hence I visited her site and drooled over her lovely images...fun to hear you worked with her!

Tom Stephenson said...

You made it - despite the flashing. I don't so much have days like this, but MONTHS like this, and my phone calls are of the 'where the .... is it?' type.

KarenSue said...

It's good to talk about it!
Enjoy your day

Martina Voigt-Schmid said...

Oh, thank you for posting this - it's so refreshing to see that other people have weird days too! It's great how you still made everything turn out right - the real "art de vivre!

Allison at Novice Life said...

Oh goodness! Glad it all ended well!

flwrjane said...

That is a nightmare come true indeed.

Some years ago, we were ultra busy at shop, 2 freaking proms and other Friday madness, when I got a call from Saturday's bride wondering where the flowers were, the photographer was already there.

I told her we were just waiting for the driver to return and flowers would be on way. Then I hung up phone and screamed "Tomorrow's wedding is today". That was some fast work we did. Shudder. Never again,( I hope.)

Flick, said...

Oh you poor thing.. I hate when that realization sets in, and you know you have dropped yourself in the poop! Just think though... you flashing the store, was probably a highlight for some people's day, and you may have turned their day around for them!!
I hope tomorrow runs a little more smoothly for you..
:) Flick

Razmataz said...

Oh my goodness, I can feel the stress of that day through your post...

Jacqueline said...

Sounds like a Top Laugh! (bad pun...sorry!)

mise said...

What a rotten rush, and how gamely you whipped into action and recovered yourself. And I think most mothers are metaphorically undone for most of our days but valiantly covering it up. xx

erin said...

thanks for the laugh!! we've all had days like that. i'm a new follower here and am enjoying your blog, mucho. thanks.
erin

Ana Degenaar said...

Those are too cute!

koralee said...

Oh my dear...only you can take this situation and turn it around and make us laugh silly. Yes...sometimes dreams turn into reality..keeping my fingers crossed mine don't or my children will lock me away forever! Hugs for a great day. xoxoxo
Sweet sweet images.

Mel said...

I can feel that moment, I actually had a dream I was missing a wedding- My dads ( third wife) - and so because I wasnt ready I was uninvited. sniff.

Glad to know I am not the only neurotic.

country girl said...

I love you, Heather!

Your honesty is refreshing, and I think we can all relate. I'm glad your co-workers were cool about it. I've have nightmares again and again about there being a test at school that I am not in the least prepared for. I'm guessing that's a classic.

Your story reminded me of the beginning of One Fine Day, where Michelle Pfeiffer ends up wearing her son's tshirt. All that's missing is a run in with George Clooney eding up in a love affair.

xoxo

Madelief said...

Hi,

It sounds like you had one of those days! I am glad you made it in the end!

groetjes Madelief

Southern Lady said...

Too funny! I'll bet the people in the store enjoyed that. Carla

Denise said...

Your post gave me chills! I have these nightmares all the time. I am constantly checking the dates of my weddings, making sure I have the day of the week corresponding correctly with the number. Good for you for pulling it off! Brava

Roxanne said...

Oh this makes me giggle! Sorry for your nightmare coming true (the italian bride thing had me on the floor!). Those little creatures are so sweet.

Barbara said...

I was getting a nervous stomach just reading your post, Heather! It's such a terrible feeling. And you really did pull things together beautifully...except for your shirt. :)

mimi charmante said...

if I didn't love you already...

Andrea - Faded Plains said...

I'm so sorry to laugh at your bad day...but your so darn cute!

Vintage Simple said...

Oh, Heather..! Only you could pull such an incredible feat - and have the sense of humor to write about it here. And I have to agree with Mise: motherhood, I believe, tends to equate undone, for one reason or another.

You're a genius, dear.

I'm glad it all ended well, and I appreciate that Tracey took all those photos of cute little woodland creatures for everyone's enjoyment.

xoooxoxox,
-maria

Colleen said...

...Ah Heather ...Thanks for spilling the beans on yourself!....Just reaffirmed how real you are!

jan said...

oh man...(for some reason it seems you can get away with that - being late and exposed) - lucky you!