Kale Chip Recipe..


I should have known better and shared this in the last post. 
I never ate kale till I tried these.
Now, two/three bunches a week is a breeze.


I buy organic kale - but that is my choice.
Wash, dry and tear from the stem - two bunches of kale.
(you can leave the stems on, as I did, but you will find they are very hard.  They do make a nifty handle for your chip though, and can be discarded after you nibble off the leafy part)


This is the original recipe I found on the internet.  I'm sorry, I don't remember where.
You can try this one, or..if you don't want the onions and garlic, omit them.
I love garlic and onion, but for some reason, liked the chips without it.
Nutrtional yeast was a bit tricky to find.  But health food stores will have it, or Whole Foods.
It's apparently a good cheese substitute.  Don't confuse with Brewer's Yeast.
Not the same!


I used:
3/4 cup tahini
1/4 cup tamari
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
juice of one lemon
1/2 cup nutritional yeast

Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl.  Add the kale and toss so they are coated.
Don't over do the coating - the first time I did this, the kale chips were far to saturated in the sauce.
Still good, but I knew they would be better with less.


I have a dehydrator, and the two bunches filled the five trays.
Be sure and lay the kale flat - not folded over.  They will dry better flat.


Six hours later..
Kale Chips.
They should be very dry and brittle.  They will just crumble in your mouth.
If you don't have a dehydrator, you can use the oven.
115 degrees for 6 hours (says the recipe). 
I'd use parchment under them on a cookie tray.

14 comments:

A House and Home said...

Thank you!!

Melissa said...

I really need to try this recipe! I have heard so much about kale lately so ready to give it a try.

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather
My daughter is vegan so this is something that would be great to try....here's the question...I live in the same region as you...WR...where do you buy your tahini (or do you make your own) and tamari?
Thanks....Kate

Missing Goat said...

Hi Kate
I buy my tahini and tamari from either Choices or Save On. They both have it. Organic too! I also find myself in town a lot and go to Whole Foods - my favourite grocery store. You and your daughter should love these! Your daughter will also love the nutritional yeast - it's very flavourful.

Courtney said...

Thank you!! I can't wait to try these. My mouth is watering.

mimi charmante said...

absolutely adore kale~
thanks for the recipe!
xx

DesignTies said...

I had kale chips for the first time last spring at a vegan restaurant. They were surprisingly good :-) I need to add more veggies to my diet, and these should fit the bill :-) Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Kelly

LAURA!!! said...

oh your blog is making me swoon. lovelove.
and thanks, these sound great!!

shellie said...

the color combo of the kale and the tuquoise basket makes me heady!!!

simpledaisy said...

I have always wanted to try them....but can't ever seem to get around to it:)
Your photos have inspired me to try it out!

Marie said...

"I Have a Dehydrator" - sounds like the title for a book. I don't know anyone who has a dehydrator. What do you use it for, mostly?

Missing Goat said...

Hi Marie
I've had it for years and love it. I dry apple chips, pineapple slices - which are heavenly, orange slices for decorating with at christmas, herbs, and now kale chips. You can make fruit leathers too - but I've never done that. Oh, you can also do meats.

"C" said...

Kale, one of my favorite greens, along with nutritional yeast, a great flavor filled treat!!! Have you ever had it on popcorn??? SSOOOOO GOOODDD!!!
"C"
witty hunger
www.foodwithwit.com

kaye i. said...

Heather, I can't stop eating them!!! Thanks for the idea. Very addictive! I made 2 versions... one with seasoning salt and one with parmesan cheese. I like the seasoning salt better because I can taste the natural flavour of the chips way more than the other. Next time I'll try your version.

One prob... it gets stuck between my teeth. LOL. Oh well.