Garlic Harvest..Part One...


Today we pulled up the first of the garlic beds.
I love this time of year.
The air is full of garlic, and there isn't a tacky cheap restaurant for miles!


This is when the greenhouse, becomes the blue house.
We hang a tarp inside to shade out the sun (the sun will turn it bitter)


This year, I had help.
We have two lovely ladies from Japan living here, helping with the farm this summer.
So, Miyuki pulled garlic all day.


She did not.


She pulled and pulled.
Five beds in total.


She even made a very cute 'miss take'
(stabbed a few with the pitch fork)
I'm almost positive she's never used a pitch fork before.


 Twine for hanging..


...old couch for relaxing...


...or standing on.


And so ends part one of the garlic harvest.
Jen from Muddy Boots is coming tomorrow for part two.

14 comments:

cathy said...

Wow! What a process! Thank you for sharing how it grows. It looks really pretty!

'odd and old' Linda Dacey said...

looks idyllic
great images
and nothing better
than baked wet garlic
crusty bread
and cream cheese
oooh
am hungry now
...

***

Barbara said...

Marvelous. What's part 2?

Ana Degenaar said...

How amazing!

Lori E said...

My mouth is watering for garlic and it is only 6:30 in the morning.
When is is ready for sale?
Tell Jen that Lori E from FamilyTreesMayContainNuts says hi.

mise said...

That garlic will be full of good karma. It makes me wave my breadsticks in anticipation.

Anne Marie said...

Oh my gosh Heather, I would trade you garlic for honey right now

seriously

Muddy Boot Dreams said...

Oh I can't wait to smell that garlicy aroma. If I stand outside and sniff I wonder if I can catch the faintest wift of it from my place?

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

NOTyourrunofthemill said...

Wowzers! How fragrant is that 'blue' house?

How are the blueberries? Ready?

Southern Lady said...

Why, oh why, can't I grow garlic like that??? Carla

Alicia said...

Its not easy so kudos to your helpers. Now all you need is fresh bread, good oil & the time roast, schmear & nibble.
Have a wonderful weekend.

Madge said...

I'm getting ready to harvest my small patch of garlic... can't wait! Love you photos!

Tamara Jansen said...

Your place looks FANTASTIC!! If I wasn't visiting my brand new little grand son right now, I'd pop and by right now :) Later next week maybe....

April said...

We grew garlic this year too....and I am loving it! We sure do eat enough of it so I was happy to dig it all up, lol! Have fun!