Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Garlic Planted...Check!


October is the time to plant garlic.
At least it is in our zone.


Home grown garlic is divine.
If you want to plant some, be sure and buy it from a nursery or an organic farmer.
Store bought garlic is treated with chemicals to prevent sprouting - icky in so many ways!


we are ready to plant..


...or fight off vampires.


My wee girl has been given her own bed (to keep her busy and happy)
I am planting in a weed free bed as garlic hates competition.
Dig a hole about three inches deep..


drop in one clove...


...pointed end up! 
I cover them with a thick layer of leaves from the lawn.
A blanket of sorts for the winter. 


and next year, after they grow...


you can harvest.
It's so worth the effort.

15 comments:

Tamara Jansen said...

FABULOUS! Your garlic is delicious, BTW!

Inge said...

Garlic and fresh toasted, buttered bread, love it:-) Have a great day ahead, Inge

Southern Lady said...

I must plant some! Yummy! Carla

Kelsie From Our Country Home said...

Yum...Thank you for the reminder...I need to check when to plant it in my zone...I loved seeing your little one digging in her very own garden.

Blessings Kelsie

culturafemenina said...

I've been reading your blog for a while and now I've decided I had to tell you how much I like your posts!!!!
They are fun, beautiful, delicious and charming...and your recipes!!
Amazing!!!!
It's a pleasure to get your posts!!! I didn`t know it was so easy to plant garlic...
Kindest regards
iela

hardydanielle said...

Great photos!! I would love to make something with that garlic...yum :)

Melissa said...

I just planted garlic as well and that is my blog post for today. yours is much better though! I sure hope my garlic looks as great as yours this spring!

Victoria said...

Ooooh I want to plant some...I wonder if its too late!
Can I borrow your little helper...so cute!

Mary Elizabeth said...

I love garlic!
And I don't care what it does to my breath!!

AnnaVallance said...

We planted our garlic a couple of weeks ago; three rows of goodness.

Sujay said...

Well done carry on.

Inspire Me Heather said...

Well, I might just do that seeings how we're probably in the same zone! Thank you so much!

Vintage Home said...

oh yummmy ...even this gets the best press ....you are my hero!

Victoria said...

I'm going to get myself organized next year and plant some wonderful garlic...I must get one of those fabulous 'little helpers' that you have too!
Thanks for the inspiration.

Jacquelyn said...

I chose two large heads of garlic I purchased from you and planted them this past weekend. I can hardly wait for the results. Your garlic is truly delicious.

Now I am inspired as well to make some apple sauce (my little tree is an abundant producer), and then maybe a tarte tatin or maybe an apple and blueberry clafoutis...