Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Whirley Pop Fun..

Lily and I bought The Whirley Pop popcorn popper for daddy over the holidays. This family loves their popcorn, and we had visions of perky kernels bouncing in our heads. The Whirley Pop comes complete with kernels, instructions and, an 'oh so' exciting recipe book. First up on my list, caramel and peanut corn!!


I spent thirty minutes unwrapping these little caramels, but I knew, in my heart, it would be worth it. The anticipation was almost to much. My saliva glands were in full over load. I popped the perfect pot of corn, melted my caramels as instructed by the official hand guide to the Whirley Pop popcorn popper.
And then..

What the What! I had a congealed foot high glob of ... this! Creamy and delicious..not at all. A beautiful mixture of salt and sugar in every bite..not at all. In fact, all the peanuts were still on the plate. Of course I had three girlfriends over for this momentous experience. They still ate it, smiling and nodding to imply it was super delicious.
That is what friends are for. Even in failure, they make you feel successful.
hmm, I feel I should add, that I still love my Whirley Pop (hot buttered popped corn three nights in a row). Perhaps, yes, you are right to suggest I've a small bitterness towards the cookbook. Lets face it, it was a giant let down. But, that, like many things, in time, will pass.

13 comments:

Angela said...

I bought one for my guy this Christmas too! I'm running out today to pick up the ingredients for the Cookies and Cream White Popcorn. Yummer. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Angela

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Oh, we love our WhirlyPop! How lucky you are to have a red one!!

c and d said...

i love this story! at least it sounds like you enjoyed all the preparation?! and a whirly pop machine?? how do i not know these exist???
happy new year! xo

koralee said...

Oh my friend...we love Mr. Whirly Pop...our home is filled with it's popcorn magic. I have only made buttered popcorn and kettle corn..the kettle corn is amazing and has that sweet salty taste. Hope your Christmas was filled with many blessings.

Pinecone Camp said...

Please don't mention anything sweet tasting right now. When I'm past the sugar haze, I wouldn't mind having one of these!!
BTW, nice use of the macro lens!

jess said...

Great to hear that the whirly pop works. I bought one from lee valley for my son and his popcorn loving girlfriend for christmas. I may have to get my own....in the meantime..I'm plugging in the airpopper...all this popcorn talk is giving me a craving!

kate / tinywarbler said...

YUM! we had one of those when i grew up (big popcorn family we were too) and it makes the best popcorn! and i remember little caramels too- although we never combined them. we would melt the caramels over snow.
i totally want some of this now heather!

A Mom With A View said...

My mouth is watering...that looks tooo good to be true...and BTW I Looooove that bathroom in the header....I want That.....LOL...Happy New Year..!!

robyn michelle-lee said...

dear heather:
i came across your blog through another one, and love your work. i think that your styling is totally gorgeous and inspiring!
as i am finishing my university degree, i am always thinking of what career i will pursue - and the world of styling and magazines has totally captivated me...
i don't know much at all about the work or about where to begin - and so, when i noticed that you are from vancouver, i thought we may be able to get in touch! i am also in vancouver!
and, i am planning to stop by butter bakery to pick up a jar of one of your gorgeous preserves - i cannot wait to try it and share it with my friends!
- robyn

Umatji said...

oh, I saw the pop corn and though ho hum and then scrolled down and just drooled on my keyboard! hoo boy!

Barbara said...

Well, popcorn is great, but that caramel is what I'd like to bite in to!
Happy New Year to you, Heather!

Kristen said...

Mmmm, I can smell the popcorn!

S said...

you need to heat the caramels more. use a candy thermometer. you want it to reach the 'hard ball' stage. Otherwise it will cool too quickly as you mix it with the popcorn.