Fowl Weather...


We spent the last four days building a duck coop and getting to know the girls.
Today, the weather took a turn.


And the girls are the only ones enjoying this 'fowl' weather.


Rainy days = comfort food.
What can be more comforting than a giant dish of white bread..
Sugar, eggs and cream mixed in to a giant dish of white bread.


Baked French Toast
Oven to 350
1.  tear up a loaf of french bread - throw into a greased casserole dish.
2. Crach 8 eggs into a bowl


3.  Add to the eggs:
2 cups milk (2% or whole)
1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup sugar


..and two tablespoons of vanilla.
Mix well and pour over torn bread.


4.  In a separate bowl:
Take one stick of butter (1 cup) and cut with a pastry cutter.


5.  Add 1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
cut with your pastry cutter to make little pea size bits.
sprinkle on top of bread and egg mixture.

  

Bake for 45 minutes.
I'm feeling very comforted...are you.

19 comments:

Jane said...

oh yes that looks very comforting. And I love your Little Lime Whisk Man.

Elyse said...

i'm feeling very hungry.

chuckling over your whimsical whisk!

xo
elyse

myletterstoemily said...

what a delicious way to make a lot of french
toast! your recipe looks incredible.

thank you.

donna baker said...

With struesel topping no less. Looks so good.

Ana Degenaar said...

Oh my! I could have one of those any day!

Vintage Home said...

...ah so comfy yummy !...bet your wee one loved it too!

mise said...

What a civilized way to make French Toast. I guess the ducks might like an eggless variant of it....

Tom Stephenson said...

Nice weather - for ducks!

a tiny hurricane said...

Sounds amazing. Might have to try that recipe out and purposely forget how much butter I've put in the dish!

Miranda said...

Oh yes I am. That looks delicious! I love french toast in any form. Mmmmm

Healing Woman said...

Yum. Bring on the rain!

Courtney said...

Mmmm, that looks not only delicious but also fairly simple to put together. I'm going to try it the next chilly weekend. It may just become an autumn/winter staple. Thanks for the recipe!

Vintage Home said...

oh my Heather...I didn't realize it was PreSchool time!....wow thanks for telling me!...I have been holding tears in my eyes since yesterday...and this news kinda put me over the top....so exciting ....like my day yesterday a bit of a growing and a bit of nostalgia!...now I really need that french toast.....M would love it !

Barbara said...

Nothing better than your delicious French toast on a rainy day, Heather! (Probably on ANY day actually!)

c and d said...

deeelish...that's what i'm making for the kids first full day back at school tomorrow morning! yummy!

pollydove said...

wow. that really does look yummy. and your photos really are amazing. simply amazing. love the one of the butter.

Tanya said...

I'm in love with that recipe! And I couldn't help but smile at your ducks in the pool :) First time stopping by, glad I took the time!

robyn said...

OH MAN, I love making different baked french toast recipes and this is the first I've seen with a yummy topping! MUST make this for dinner this week, thanks!

I *heart* your ducks!

Vintage Simple said...

Mmmmmhhh..! I can smell that goodness all the way from here - even though I know it's most definitely all gone by now..! It looks delicious, Heather. You make such a comforting home - in every sense.

much love,
-maria