Tuesday, February 7, 2012

How to Dry Lavender...


I mentioned that we dry our own organic lavender for our Missing Goat Blueberry Lavender Jam.
A few people asked how to dry lavender.
So, here it is.


I use English lavender for cooking.  It's the shorter variety.
You can also get very tall French lavender - which is great for sachets.
You want to pick it before the buds open.  
Like the opening shot and the one above.


We have many shades of lavender - even a white.
Unless you are making a lavender jelly - it doesn't matter about the colour.
If you are making jelly - the darker the lavender, the prettier colour your jelly will be.
Then you don't have to add food colouring.


Bundle up your lavender and hang in a dry space out of direct sun.


This could take a week or two for them to dry.


You will then have bundles of dry lavender to do as you please.
I like to bag mine up.


I gently rub the bundles together and the flowers fall off easily.


If you do this on wax paper you can pour the dried flowers into a zip lock bag for storing.
Hope that helps ladies!

11 comments:

julieann said...

Beautiful... I hope it's easy to grow because these pictures are making me want to grow lavendar here at home.

Stacey@A Sort Of Fairytale said...

wonderful tips...thank you!

Glamour Drops said...

Oh - this is timely. I am about to do a major harvest of my lavender bushes because they have been so prolific this year. Interesting about using the different varieties for different things.

Melissa said...

Oooh thanks for this tip. I grew a lot of lavender last year (love the look, smell, and the fact the deer don't eat it) but failed to dry any. Kicking myself. This year I wont make the same mistake.

Bunny Jean said...

Hi Heather!

I just found you through Vignette Design. Your blog is great and I will be reading past posts to get better acquainted.


My lavender is just now blooming and I will be trying my hand at some lavender jam.

xoxo Bunny Jean

kathy said...

Do you have favorite variety of lavender?

Teri said...

I saw your post and it made me miss my Lavender! Pretty photos! You can also use the empty stems for your fireplace, they burn off an amazing scent!

a suburban kitchen said...

Love lavender. Can't wait for summer now.

Sweet Annabelle said...

Pinned your post on lavender - thanks for the simple directions on drying! What a lovely blog you have!

White Weathered Hutch, said...

Hi just found you through Vintage Home. I'm your newest follower.
Here is hoe I dry my lavender.drop by to see.

bluebirdsunshine said...

Great tips. I picked lavender today and had no idea what to do with it all. Now I have bunches hanging in my kitchen thanks to your post. Beautiful photos too.