A Little Dirty, A little Weird..





First, the dirty bit...
Missing Goat organic jam is now down town Vancouver at the Dirty Apron.
This store makes me ache to live in one of the brick lofts above them, have my gourmet lunch delivered daily, and take a cooking class in the evening with friends and great wine.
visit them here:  Dirty Apron 

Now...things I eat that are weird...Just because I felt like sharing



Popcorn...not weird at all...


..but I don't add butter or salt.  I dip in in French's mustard.
Let me tell you, zero calories and a whole lotta flavour!
Try this!  You can eat a giant bowl and not be upset with yourself.


Chia Pudding.
Yes, I eat chia pet pudding.
I love chia pet pudding.


I blame Gramma Janis for this.  
She sent me a recipe and that started my now daily must have bowl of ...well, seed pudding.
I had a huge bag of it that got on one of those random runs to Costco with my sister to see what all the Costco fuss is about.  This is all I came home with.
Chia is so good for you - Google it and see.
It's totally weird to eat - like tapioca..but stranger.
But, I tell you this...


...when you add maple syrup and a bit of vanilla then you have a treat that is still super good for you!
I use coconut water but you can use almond milk or real milk - 3/4 cup
1/4 cup chia seed - pour them in the liquid
let it soak for 30 minutes - whisking every 5 minutes or so.  It will thicken up.
add 1/8 cup pure maple syrup - or more if you like
1 tsp pure vanilla, blend and eat.

you can add fresh fruits, use any juice you like instead of milk, add cinnamon, agave or honey.
It's January..I'm still trying to be healthy.
Though..

I also made real vanilla pudding for my girl who was not well this week.  
Not weird at all, but I thought I should end on a good note.

10 comments:

The Blue Farmhouse said...

YeAh Heather...so when are you coming to America? Congratulations my friend.:)

Hugs...Rita

Nantucket Daffodil said...

That's great...wish you were near us! Love the popcorn in mustard idea! We eat a LOT of popcorn around here. I was thinking of trying to grow popping corn...saw a cute, non-GMO variety at Baker Creek. Have you had any luck with corn?

kandeland said...

thank you so much for the popcorn idea and the chia recipe! will be trying them both! have a great weekend. xo natalea

kandeland said...

thank you so much for both the popcorn idea and the chia recipe! will be trying both! have a great weekend, xo natalea

donna baker said...

Oh Heather, you are a good egg. Haven't tried the pudding, but chia seeds are good in juice too. At first it's like little tadpole eggs, but it doesn't have a flavor other than the juice and is so good for you.

Lois said...

Ok since you mentioned coconut water and you generally tell it like it is which I very much love, I have to ask: Is coconut water worth all the hype? It seems to be the "it" thing lately but I can't decide what it's really good for or why I should bother with it. Thought I'd see if you have any strong opinions or general words of wisdom about it.

And you've convinced me to try the popcorn+mustard combo, I like them both way too much already so combining them can't be a bad thing!

julieann said...

Ok.. I googled it. I had no idea that the chia seed was edible. I just thought it was for Chia pets. I love costco and have never seen it there. Ill see if I cant find it on my next trip there. I do see it is similar in nature to flax and I do buy that at Costco and sprinkle it in my food.
I think I would like the treat that your sweet girl is getting instead.. :)

Heather Cameron said...

Well, to be honest, I have never paid any attention to the benefits of coconut water. I've heard chatter about it, but find it rather blah. I use to buy it from a Thai food place in Vancouver and loved it. I'm pretty sure it was loaded with sugar as the stuff they sell in the stores now does not taste like the Thai place!
I was reading recipes that used water or almond milk, and tried both. It simply occurred to me that coconut water may taste good and add a bit of flavour. That's exactly what it does.
So no real strong opinions on it. But it is better than water and almond milk and I figure if it is good for you, then the chia pudding is just that much better for you.
Let me know how you like the popcorn and mustard.

Elizabeth Johnson said...

My daughter has been telling me to try chia pudding. I just haven't done it yet. Maybe I'll try it in the morning.
And that loft living you described sounds quite lovely.

laurenrustichoney said...

Love the popcorn idea! I'm a popcorn addict so I'll have to try this! Thanks!