Thursday, January 21, 2010

Favourite New Dinner..

I've found a new and easy favourite for dinner. Pizza! I've been making Jamie Oliver's recipe, but sadly, it just wasn't as 'lovely' as he said it would be. I forgive him of course, because I love him so. But I digress..
I found a new recipe and... Bloody Delicious! My new favourite word - Bloody! I wish I had an English accent. When they cuss it sounds so perfectly suited to the situation.
Again, I digress...I love finding meals that we can all make together. Lily loves kneading the dough and we all add our own toppings. It's a fun night.
Pizza Dough Recipe:
1 pack of yeast
1 cup warm water
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
2 cups Bread flour - don't use regular - it's not the same!
Whisk yeast, water, oil and sugar together in a bowl - let sit for about three minutes.
Put flour and salt in a wide bowl - pour in wet liquid and start to mix. Eventually, you have to use your hands to get it all mixed together and knead the dough till it forms a smooth ball. Put back in a lightly floured bowl and sprinkle a bit more flour over the dough.
Put a damp tea towel over it and let it sit on the counter for one hour. It will double in size.
Then, voila, you have yummy dough! Give it a few more kneads to work out the air, roll it out - thin or thick - the choice is yours. It does puff up a fair bit when it bakes. Add sauce and toppings and bake at 350 for 10 to 12 minutes.

21 comments:

koralee said...

Yummmmm...the crust is everything in homemade pizza and I can never ever get mine right...so my friend will try yours. Maybe pizza Friday tomorrow thanks to you! xo

Tom Stephenson said...

If you have room in your garden for a brick, wood-fired oven, then your pizza will taste even better when pulled out of a pile of hot, wood ash - guaranteed! (and if you've ever heard an Essex boy cuss, you will know how suited to the situation they can be...)

LuliBags said...

I've never really thought about how it sounds when we say that word, but you are right! Ha. This looks great, thanks.

Sue@CountryPleasures said...

I'm a big fan of homemade pizza too, but the best recipe I've tried so far, is a whole wheat crust that is so good and filling to boot! Just do a search on my blog for it if you'd like to try it. Love your blog by the way!

Erin Wallace said...

Oh! Thanks for this recipe! I've been wanting to learn to make pizza dough for quite some time now as I LOVE pizza and you can't get broccoli and garlic on your pizzas here like at Ohio University, my lovely college! Except now I have kids, and I'm pretty sure they'd think mom is a little nuts with the broccoli pizza!

Robin said...

I love pizza night!

I have a recipe I've been using for a while but hubby doesn't like it. I be sure to use yours next time and see if he likes it better. Thanks

mise said...

Anything with yeast is a winner for me; I love the smell of rising yeast dough. Bloody fragrant.

Pinecone Camp said...

That man does make a good crust! Looks like you do too, H. By the way, I think my husband has a man crush on Jamie.

LuLu said...

Pizza night is every Friday in our home... your crust looks so delicous!
xo,
LuLu

Firefly Hill said...

Thanks for the recipe! I tend to cheat and use Indian naan bread for my crust....but I need to kick that habit.

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

Heather...you sure got my attention here....my last meal on earth food. PIZZA....

That header of your bathroom is a winner. I am redoing mine this spring...and I want this !

Have a great weekend....

more later

Fondly,
Kary

flwrjane said...

Yummer. Was going to order pizza tonight but will wait until tomorrow or Sunday and try this. Tho' your picture makes it hard to wait.

Linda Lou said...

Love Jamie Oliver and LOVE your blog...being Italian I make a lot of pizza, but I cheat with store bought crust at Trader Joes...I think it is time I get down and dirty and make this dough...I will return..

sarah-jane down the lane said...

Hmmm, it does look bloody delicious (said in authentic Home Counties accent! tee hee.)

Jamie is a diamond isn't he? Your recipe looks fab too!

Sarah x

Beach Vintage said...

We make our own pizza's all the time Heather, it is just wonderful! Yumm!

vintage simple said...

I often wish I had the appropriate accent for different expressions. Apparently, I suck at it.

But the pizza - that does look great. Bloody brilliant, in fact. (...but that might be trying to fit to many cool words in one sentence. I do love 'brilliant' as well, and wish I had the accent to say it the way it was intended.)

xo,
-maria

The Blonde Duck said...

I love saying Bloody,brilliant, wicked and "hello, govenor!" With my thick Texan accent, it's utterly ridiculous.

I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEE pizza. I've never made it from scratch, and I really need to. I've been craving it for days...

country girl said...

Looks bloody lovely, Heather!
I have another award to pass onto you! The 'Kreativ Blogger' award.
Hope you'll play along :)
Here's the details:
http://mayallseasonsbesweettothee.blogspot.com/2010/01/7-things-you-probably-didnt-know-about.html
xoxo

Celestial Charms said...

I'm looking forward to trying this recipe. I'm originally from NYC, so I'm really picky when it comes to my pizza. This looks good and pizza is my absolute favorite food. I can eat it cold, right from the fridge. Yummy!
Maureen

Andrea - Faded Plains said...

Funny you should share this recipe with us...I'm in dire need of a better pizza dough recipe...thanks!

ImplausibleYarn said...

Thank you! I thought I was the only one who loved Jamie but thought that some things were not quite as brilliant as he thought...