DIY - Yoghurt & Sprouts...


Day 3 of 2013 and I'm attempting two things I've always wanted to try...


...growing my own sprouts and making home-made yoghurt.
If I post about sandals and socks next week, come to the farm and slap me.


I have broccoli sprouts and alfalfa seeds.
They needed to soak for 6 hours.


Don't you hate when you set out to do something only to find there is a 6 hour delay.
It's like I'm in the Denver airport.


Pea shoots.  


Another soaker.


Yoghurt seemed easy enough.
Surely I could get this made today.
Heat milk to 185 then cool to 160...


Add 5 grams of yoghurt starter (found at the health food store)


Pour into jars


Place in your dehydrator to keep warm at 115 degrees.
Add lids
then...oh damn.
Leave for 3 - 11 hours.
I checked at 3 hours...I had luke-warm milk.
So I'll see you all tomorrow morning with some results.

7 comments:

Tree Hugger - Suzan said...

You are so brave trying to make yogart!! Good luck on the next batch!! How exciting to find more veggies from your garden!

The Blue Farmhouse said...

I bet it's going to be worth the wait! I'll check back tomorrow....too bad I can't taste it!:(

Karen Bates said...

I love doing both of those...the yogurt is the best and my chickens love the sprouts in the winter.

BlackStar said...

Sprouts are easy, except for separating the hulls from the sprouts. I'd love to know an easy way to do this without losing so many sprouts. Mung beans are my fave to do.
As far as yogurt, we bought a machine years ago to make it. It's easy, but doesn't make as much as we need. I use plain yogurt to start my batches. Never tried an actual starter. I may try to make it your way now that we have a dehydrator.

Hope Filled Living said...

Thanks for the great idea. I'm going to try growing some sprouts! My sister used to make yogurt all the time. I don't know how she did it....I purchased a yogurt maker a couple of years ago but it just didn't work out.
Hope it turns out yummy for you.

Lee said...

This was very interesting. I didn't know how to make this. Very cool.
Lisa
Leeshideaway.blogspot.com

Kate said...

I used to make yogurt what seems like a whole lota years ago - yikes. Loved it and you've inspired me to try again. I also used to sprout mung beans and alfalfa but gave that up but have recently become addicted to sprouting lentils. Easy peasy, full of iron and yummy too. I think it's time to invest in a good quality dehydrator. I've had one of those KTEL jobs forever. Bought it thinking I would dry my own fruit but it ended up getting used to dry more flowers than food. Making my own raisins was an entire hoot!!

By the by, I've pre-ordered your book. Yay. Can hardly wait. I'm hoping to become a really good pie baker because right now I apparently suck at that. Any chance you might offer an online course in pie baking?

Cheers and happy new year.