Inspiration...


So, I'm off to Victoria to the Western Canada Book Fair..or something like that.
I have to give another speech.
I've shared that it's not, well, my best talent in life.
I was so bummed out last time, that I had blown my speech.
I shared this with a friend from my hotel room in Toronto. 
She sent me this note back, and I thought I would share it with you.
Kim I hope you don't mind, but I will save this speech for the rest of my life.
I'm not sharing to make myself sound 'wonderful' or brag about how fabulous I am. 
I'm sharing to inspire you or anyone you know who in those 'big' moments ...stumble.

The words of my dear friend Kim Christie:

You didn't "blow" the speech.  What you did is fail to contort yourself into a vision of what you … and you alone … deemed to be an appropriate and "good" speaker.  But you're not a speaker … you're a wholesome artist, a mom, a friend … a real, live girl!  :)
What's happening on the internet right now … and I mean, like, ALL OVER THE WORLD … is that even experienced "speakers" are pointing a camera at themselves and just blathering away on the front porch.  Because it's more honest.  More real.  People connect with you more when you are absolutely authentic.  And you're not a statesman.   You're a beautiful, fresh, ADORABLE crazy creative Full-of-Love-and-Goodness farm girl.  You're honest and unguarded and unpracticed.  There's nothing complicated or conniving or controlling in your world … and that's what people are ACHING for right now.  The polished perfection and contrivances are driving the world mad.  Everywhere the veneer is cracking.  Because we all want it to.  Because every last one of us is sick to death of pretending to be someone we are not.  So your speech was perfect.  You were absolutely you … unsure, a bit overwhelmed by all the fanfare, tripping it up a bit … in other words, Positively CHARMING.
You're trying to "impress" a room full of people who wish like crazy that they were YOU!  They want to be young and lithe and uncomplicated.  They want to swing in the sunshine and run laughing out of a shabby shack chasing a precious and perfect Lily.  They want to be able to whip up apple pie on a whim, from scratch, without a recipe.  Every single person in that room got a taste of someone laughing, someone hesitant, maybe flustered … and they were hooked IMMEDIATELY.  Because you are absolutely Real and absolutely Perfect.  No one who meets you, or sees anything at all that you've ever created, or visits your farm or drops into your blog … doesn't fall IMMEDIATELY in love with you.  The only thing you can do to mess that up is train and contort yourself into being a polished persona.  They're a dime a dozen and everybody's sick of that.

14 comments:

Lovin That! said...

What an amazing email and friend! Such wonderful words ans so true! Thx for sharing.

Razmataz said...

That is so true and very well written. All this reality TV has made for a very fake world, and personally I can't take it any more. Give me fresh and wholesome and real. I want to see the real you.

Nantucket Daffodil said...

That's friendship. Love it.

Sharon said...

Your friend is absolutely right. I was in a career where I had to do presentations and I too was not a natural. After a while I just became comfortable getting in front of a crowded room and speaking, unfortunately the only way to do that is practise. It will get easier and you will stop second guessing yourself.
Your blog is charming and so will your speeches be. Break a leg.

Sharon
weebreezefarm@blogspot.com

The Blue Farmhouse said...

(Applause)...If I could have heard your speech or know you personally I'm sure that I would have written the "exact" words. I'm only jealous that I don't know you personally...but what I do perceive through this "beautiful" blog is someone who is very creative, fun, a mom, a real person and I'm happy to call you a friend! Hopefully one day we'll meet:) So go and "knock their socks off" with the real and beautiful YoU:) Good luck...

Love, Rita

Low Tide High Style said...

Her words are so true, and we all need friends that are there when we stumble and pick us up in ways we could never imagine! Good luck with your speech today. :)

Kat

Robin Larkspur said...

Very happy you have a wonderfully supportive friend who told you the truth of it all!!!
Excellent words. Hugs from Robin.

Lois said...

I agree with your friend. And maybe it helps, but if I think about what you'd be like as a speaker I don't imagine a presidential, formal, calculated, doesn't-miss-a-beat type presentation. I think of you as a down to earth, happy, mostly organized and full of real life stories person who doesn't just know things, but lives them. I'd much rather listen to that! My husband is regularly in front of a few thousand people and whenever he flubs something up, it's amazing how often people say they loved that moment and they appreciate seeing the humanity in the person leading them. I always find that comforting :)

Violets Are Blue said...

Enjoy the book fair and be who you are. That is what they want to see and if I could make it to Vic to see you, that is what I would expect you to be. Enjoy your time. Patty/Nanaimo

Unknown said...

What a good friend! Her words of love and encouragement are so touching, thank goodness for the support and honesty of good people! I wish you luck!

AnnaVallance said...

Right on!
Amen!

ChristaY said...

From someone who was in that Toronto room where you thought you blew your speech, I can personally attest that you did not. You were wonderful and true to life, full of passion and love for your family and everything on the farm. We were left charmed, amazed and as your friend said - jealous that we couldn’t all live the life that you have everyday. We talked about your book and how lovely you were for days afterwards and we gushed about your jam - we had it for breakfast for the rest of the week. And - we loved your dress! You were gorgeous! Enjoy the Western Book Fair - it's a great time to meet those people who will be as equally passionate about your book.

julieann said...

I dont know how I missed this post but find myself teary eyed as I read it. WOW what a gift she has given you here. And you have given us by sharing it.
I totaly agree with every word she has said. In part my tears are because what she says about your readers wanting to have a life like yours playing with Lilly and just being true to who you are is so to the point and so true. The world should long for less rehersed versions of us and love us for who we are. I wish I had been there so I could have seen just how charming you were...

Pinecone Camp said...

Well said, Kim! I second that ;)